Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mother Nature is a Tease!

The first of mysterious things to grow.
I spent yesterday outside with the kids, in my yard, playing with my gardens.  It was fantastic, if not overwhelming.  I mean, I've never had a flower garden before, so I honestly have no clue what I'm doing.  I started out by just walking around looking at everything.  Now that the snow has melted, I have found a bit of trash throughout, so that had to be cleaned up.  I also found lots of things poking up through the dirt.  Things I didn't plant, which is really sort of cool.  My garden is like a little surprise.  What will pop up today?

Pretty purple flowers.
So I did a little, pulling out dead stuff, using my intuition to guess what needed to be trimmed, and what could be pulled.  I did pull out a few things that were probably alive, but I didn't like.  Like the bush like thing that seemed to grow out into the driveway.  I need to buy a pair of pruning sheers.  I have dead mums, and I *think* I should trim those, along with the dead hydrangeas, and other things that are just dead, dead, dead...except if you pull them you see things growing out beneath the surface.  I think I need professional assistance over here, there's SO much, and I know so little.

Irises maybe?
The only big concern about my yard are my apple trees.  Sadly, something (I'm almost positive it's rabbits.) has been eating the bark on my little trees, and now I am worried about their survival.  I know it's too early to tell, and it'll probably still be a few weeks for leaves appear, but they don't look as well as they did.  But it is still green under the bark that remains near the root, and I've been told that's a good sign.  So I'm hoping for the best here.

Sadly, it's supposed to snow.  Tonight and tomorrow.  And not just an inch or two, but 3-5 inches in the next 36 hours.  I mean, we're lucky it's not more (I believe NYC, CT and the like are estimated to get a lot more) but still...I think Mother Nature is laughing at us.  I think someone forgot to tell her that after a long winter like the one we had, no one laughs at the joke.

My poor damaged apple tree.  Damn rabbits.
Ah well.  Hopefully this will be the last of the year.  Next it'll rain, restoring my lawn to a healthy green (and not the ugly brown it is...) and helping all the trees to bud and bloom.  And then the sun and the warmth will arrive, and us Northerners can enjoy a nice summer, and I can enjoy a beautiful yard of my own.  If I don't kill anything...I actually don't have a green thumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment