Monday, March 7, 2011

Project: Simplify: Week 1

I've been a little quiet lately.  Both kids had coughs, and I have had the joy of a TMJ flare up which has sent me to my knees in pain.  Not fun, let me tell you.  And to top off that, the germ machines made sure that I didn't walk out unscathed.  I'm now hacking a lung every two minutes.  But hey, super mom doesn't stop, so why should I?

So Simple Mom has issued the first challenge this week in her 5 week attempt to de-clutter and organize our homes.  It's actually a simple one, sort of.  The Closet/wardrobe.  This will be easy for me on one hand, since I just did a good chunk of it in the Fall.  It's will also be hard because I have a hard time letting go of a lot of clothes.  I have a good amount of "not quite a good fit stuff" that I want to keep but need to lose weight to get into.  Last year at this time, I would've had the confidence to say I'll get down to the right size, but this year has been hard, and I don't have that confidence.  I've been yelling at myself for 4 weeks now to start Phase 1 of South Beach.

There's also the problem of my "10 favorite items" being ratty, ripped, full of holes and well...better off in the trash.  But they are so comfortable!!  I really do need to invest in new clothes, but it's hard to give up those "favorites".  (And I think that's another problem, getting rid of stuff just to go out and buy more!)

But I will give it a try this week.  If anything, it'll get rid of a bunch of socks and underwear that have holes in them.  That's never a bad thing.  And besides, maybe now I can actually give you pictures of the work I did in the bedroom so long ago!

1 comment:

  1. Needing to replace things so not wanting to get rid of things I don't wear (because, you know, then I wouldn't have any clothes. Even though I never wear the ones I won't get rid of) is my big problem. Tsh mentions that in the section about clearing out the closet - she says to hang on to the things you wear the most & then sort of make a plan to replace them one after the other. So you have things to wear but don't have to go out & drop a chunk of change on all new stuff all at once.

    I finally junked a turtleneck I wear at least twice a week all winter long & have for years - because I realized the sleeves and neck were so ripped up I didn't want to be seen in it in public. My thing to deal with now is things I *love* that don't fit my life as it is now and probably never will fit my life again, but that I don't want to get rid of because I love them and also they comprise a good 75% of my wardrobe. I guess once they're gone I'll be able to take a good close look & see what I *actually* need, so that will be a positive.

    Can't wait to see your before & after. :)

    ReplyDelete