Tuesday, September 13, 2011

It's a Harvest Moon!

So many things were grown this year.  Tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, corn, pumpkins, carrots, peppers, strawberries, cabbage, potatoes, onions, shallots, basil, thyme, rosemary, roses, hydrangeas, rhododendrons, lilacs...but my favorites finally bloomed this week: Sunflowers.
I can't help but love Sunflowers!!
I thought I had planted them too late.  All around me it seemed like sunflowers bloomed a month again, and even a month ago, it seemed like mine were only 6 inches high.  I think it was right before Hurricane Irene hit, when I was preparing for it, that I noticed that my sunflowers had grown.  REALLY grown.  Quite a few of them were taller than my garage.  And they had heads!  I was so excited.

Super tall and Super Pretty!
They manage to survive the storm(s), and this week we've had sun.  So I was so happy when Liam and I went out today (despite the swarm of mosquitoes that attacked us) and saw most of them had opened.  They were so bright, and tall and pretty!  The only down side is that for some reason, a few of my sunflowers are facing the wrong direction.  They grew up above the garage, and for some reason...they are facing North.  Odd, right?  All the rest of them are facing South.

We are coming up to the end of my gardening season.  A part of me is sad, and a part of me is glad.  I definitely had a bunch of problems this year, most due to lack of experience.  Weeds were a huge problem, and I learned that next year I won't plant my zucchini near my summer squash, I won't plant my pumpkins near anything, and I will limit the number of tomato plants.  I will probably avoid the tomato cherries again- holy moly those things just overtook my entire garden.  I couldn't keep up, and it seemed far too many ended up being waste.  Next year I am definitely going to double my garden size, and space things out better.  And next year maybe I'll brave herbs.  And I know this season isn't even over yet, and I am already looking forward to next year's harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment