Monday, February 28, 2011

Home Sweet Home

It's the last day of February!  Everyone stand up, do a little dance and celebrate.  I'm so glad it's not a leap year, this has been a long February, with far too much cold, snow and ice.  Now, don't worry, I'm a smart person.  I have no delusions that winter is suddenly at an end, with no more snow in sight.  But March is one month closer to warmer weather, and I really can do some indoor gardening.

I spent most of the weekend traveling.  We left Liam with his grandpa, and took Lilia to Buffalo for a hockey game.  It was a good time, despite having a some really stupid fans of the opposing team behind us.  I survived getting kicked in the back, and had beer spilled on my hair.  It also soaked my purse and winter hat.  I wasn't too happy about that, but luckily my purse has a waterproof layer.

Being back in Buffalo was great.  We didn't have time to do a lot of things, but we managed to stop and eat at Tim Hortons, and then do a bit of shopping.  Not that we went to anyplace I couldn't go around here, but you know...it was just nicer.  The cashier's were talkative, the coffee better, the beer guy at the arena funny...it just felt like home.  About the only negative thing I can recall thinking was Herkimer does better snow removal than Buffalo.

I frown at myself a little, as I realize how much I took Buffalo for granted when I lived there.  There is a ton of Asian markets that I didn't frequent enough.  Now I look for items here and am like "What do you mean, daikon and quail eggs aren't carried here?"  If I want to eat out, my choice is fast food, Italian, Chinese or drive 45 minutes for sushi.  Buffalo has such a variety, but it wasn't something I ever really realized until I left.  It's sort of crazy, you know?

I don't know if we'll ever make it back to Buffalo to live.  I'm thankful we live close enough to visit, but I do miss it.  I love my home here, but I think I would gladly sell it to move back (as long as I could buy another house in Buffalo!  Just say no to crazy landlords.)

I wonder if I'll ever stop missing Buffalo?

No comments:

Post a Comment