Friday, February 18, 2011

Friday's Confession

I'm a stay at home mom and wife.  And yet...I am a terrible housekeeper.  Alright, that's not true exactly.  I can keep my house sort of clean.  Laundry, Vacuuming, dishes...you know...the basics.  However, I have a terrible time with organization, keeping toys off my floor, beds made, counters uncluttered...

I grew up in a messy household.  Very messy, and I really won't go into details, but let me assure you, it was bad.  If CPS ever saw it, I probably would've grown up in a foster home (actually, CPS WAS called once, and they gave my mom a chance to "clean" up.  She did, and they left it at that.  Good thing they never returned though.)  So I never had a real good role model.

Once on my own, I think I did a pretty good job.  Sure, I got lazy at times, and let's not talk about paper clutter and book clutter.  But my place was always neat.  Now with the kids, I feel like pulling out my hair, and just throwing away everything I own, just to keep it clean.  Now to be fair, right now I still have no place to put things, and Liam is still in this "let's dump all the toys I find on the floor, rip up papers and books, and remove our clothes, piece by piece and leave it in the middle of the floor of each room."  I really do need my shelves up in my living room.  And to make remodel my kitchen.  And organize my bedroom.  I really do need a filing cabinet...

I just seem to lack this ability to understand how people have kids and keep their houses spotless, or even just clean and uncluttered.  I feel like I never have time to clean, and I'm home 24/7.  For awhile, I was in the swing of things, having my own little routine that started with making beds, and ended at the end of the night with a quick pick up of toys, clothes and anything left on the floor.  I haven't gotten back into that routine, and now with both kids rooms being disaster areas...I'll just shake my head.

So there you have it.  I could win the award for worst housewife in the Central NY area.

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate. I am not a neatnik by nature but I've come to hate clutter. The harder I try not to generate a lot of it, the more the kids generate without really trying.

    The only solution seems to be to get rid of about half our stuff. Which I'm working on.

    (LOVE the new blog design, by the way. How fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. Well, that and adding places for things. I really do find that the lack of having places to put things contributes quite a bit. We're lucky to have the basement and eaves to hide things, but I've always hated "things" in boxes. What's the point, if it's just going to sit in a box?

    I honestly can't wait for spring/summer. I'm so kicking these bozo's outside, and then my house will stay clean(er).

    (And thanks!)

    ReplyDelete