Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Crockpot Tuesday!

I hate the cold.  Really, I just do. I can't think of any good reasons for the existence of cold.  I don't know why anyone would like the cold? You like being bundled in blankets, sweaters, coats, gloves, hats and not being free to move without all that bulk?  No really, I HATE the cold.  It's a very chilly 5 F right now, and in order to combat the cold, I literally moved my chaise lounger in front of my fireplace, so I could sit by the fire, under my snuggie.  I was that cold.

I love my Crockpot!
I can only think of two positive things about winter.  Christmas and crockpots.  I love crockpot meals on a cold winters day.  It makes life so much easier, and the meals are always piping hot.  Chili, stew, soup...delicious stuff!

I decided that I'm going to try to use my crockpot at least once a week this winter.  Shall we call it a resolution?  Sure, why not?

I made a warm and delicious taco chicken in the crockpot yesterday, which was one day too early for warming crockpot meal. However, the leftovers were just as delicious as they were yesterday, maybe even a little tastier.

Taco Chicken


3 Chicken breasts (I actually used two, but wish I had used three.)
1/2 cup chicken stock
3 TB taco seasoning (I admit it! I threw in a whole packet.)


1 jar picante sauce/salsa
1 TB chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 cup corn (frozen, or canned)
juice from 1 lime


Mix the first 3 ingredients together in the slow cooker, cook 6-8 hours on low, on 4-5 hours on high)  I actually added a bit more stock, just to keep it nice and moist.


About 30 minutes before serving, remove and shred the chicken.


Stir in the remaining ingredients, add the chicken and allow to heat for at least 30 minutes.

Serve with tortillas or taco shells (we used corn tortillas the first night and didn't care for them- the next night we used taco shells and that was much better.) and whatever your traditional taco accompaniments are. We had lettuce, tomato, sour cream and shredded cheese.



It was delicious!  I might have to try it with some black beans and cilantro next time, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment