Friday, May 6, 2011

Flowers and Bread

I spent about 2 hours today in my garden.  It was really nice, though exhausting.  Did you know gardening burns a lot of calories?  I entered the time in sparkpeople's fitness tracker and it said 2 hours of gardening burnt over 700 calories.  Crazy!  I need to do this daily!

But I didn't take pictures, and I have a few "Mother's Day" presents to plant this weekend, so I'm not going to talk about gardening today.  Instead, I'm making today all about bread.  I've been wanting to make some bread for a few weeks now, so I decided to order a dough hook for my KitchenAid mixer.  It arrived today (Love Amazon Prime) and yes, I did put it on my arm, and "Yarrrr" like a pirate.

I really want to replace store bought bread with home made bread.  I really do.  I'm just not sure we could...

Friday is usually confession day, isn't it?  Well here's my confession: My family and I are terrible with food.  We waste a lot food, and while I've worked to make it better, we still end up throwing out food that spoiled before we ate it.  And sadly, while we go through about 2-3 loaves of bread each week, I'm not sure I could ever replace store bought bread.  I've made it before, and it's not the first thing the family grabs when making sandwiches.  It sort of bums me out seeing the last few pieces of bread I've made get thrown out.  I'm not a big bread eater myself, so I can't really dictate which bread to eat.

I have a bubbling jar of sourdough starter going right now.  It's a bit gross...fermenting flour, but it seems to be working pretty well.  I used 1/2 cup white flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup warm water. I feed it daily with 1/4 cup white water, 1/4 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup warm water.  Eventually I have to grab a 2 QT jar, because the jar I'm using now is too small.  It should be ready next week sometime, Tuesday hopefully, maybe Wednesday.  I like it sour!

No comments:

Post a Comment