Saturday, June 26, 2010

Strawberry season

In the past few years, I've started to really love strawberry season. We've gone strawberry picking the past 3 years. It's the absolute best- freshly picked strawberries are so delicious.


Particularly with kids, strawberry picking is a lot of fun. Burns a few calories, and entertains the kids, all while collecting copious amounts of healthy deliciousness. There's just something fun about watching the little ones pop a fresh strawberry in their mouth, red juice dripping down their chins (and on their hands, nose and somehow forehead...) and then tossing some into the box, delighted to help.


Of course, even more fun is doing stuff with the strawberries.  The easiest is just a wash, and a few spoonfuls of whipped cream.  The place we picked strawberries sells smoothies- I had one that was simply ice and strawberries blended in the blender, and John had one that was milk, strawberries and ice.  Both were delicious, though I though mine was the best.   Of course we had to make strawberry shortcake.  Sliced strawberries, a touch of sugar to draw out the juices, angel food cake and whipped cream.  Perfection!

Strawberry season wouldn't be complete without a pie though.  Strawberry Rhubarb pie is absolutely delicious.  Because we're still living from a suitcase, my food processor is put away.  Hence, I did not make pie crust from scratch.  But it still turned out quite good, even if it was almost a disaster.  The recipe I used gave inaccurate times, and it was very liquidy.  Luckily, I saved it by cooking it an additional 40 minutes (!!) covered in foil.

Recipe:
9” pie crust, plus some extra for top.
4 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 cups rhubarb, sliced
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour

Mix the sugar and flour with the fruit, let sit a few minutes to draw out the juices.  Pour into pic pan, weave top crust.  Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes, lower temperature to 350 degrees for another 40 minutes.  If your crust looks like it's burning, cover pie with foil.  Let stand 20-30 minutes before slicing.  Enjoy!


Next year, I hope that I will be able to harvest some of my rhubarb.  I can't believe how well it's growing right now.  In April, I planted it in a small oatmeal container.  In May, I transplanted it to a bigger container.  There's currently 6 lovely stalks growing.  I can't wait to get it into the ground.  And since I'll also be growing strawberries, I will literally grow and bake a pie next year from scratch.  Am I a huge dork for being excited by that?

Remember kids, don't eat the Rhubarb leaves.

1 comment:

  1. My family used to make jam out of freshly picked strawberries. Ofcourse, it requires a shitload of sugar so it's not really all that healhty, but it tastes SO FREAKING AWESOME! Rhubarb is also great.

    And no, you're not a huge dork for being excited by things like that. I'm looking forward to getting a place with my own garden, so I can do stuff like that as well.

    ReplyDelete