Thursday, June 17, 2010

Pix the home owner?

Life has been so chaotic, but I'm back. Sort of.

I always thought I'd be the type to enjoy house hunting. And now that I've done it, I have to say it. Boy that was a stupid assumption on my part.

When it comes to decisions, I am the most indecisive person ever. Ask me where to go out to eat, and I'll say "you pick..." And John is just as bad. So making an important decision, such as where to invest thousands of dollars for a home...that was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I think we looked at about 15 places. And then we'd pick a place, and something wouldn't go right. The first place we liked already had an offer. The second place the owners weren't taking less than asking. I was beginning to think we'd never find a place we liked.

In the end, I think I shocked myself. I picked a small house with lots of land. I knew I wanted land, or at least enough space for a garden, some chickens, and a place for the kids to run and play...but I also thought I'd want a place much bigger than what I wanted. Instead, the place is 3 bedroom, 2 full bath...about 1100 square feet. The kitchen is small- probably one of the smallest kitchens I've ever had in my life. The "master" bedroom is teeny tiny.

But the most I thought about it, the most I liked it. The potential. With all the land, there's room for everything I want, plus room to add on an addition (or two), a deck and a pool.

The best part, at least to me, is that I liked it the first time we looked at it. John didn't. We took a second look, and I tried my best to convey everything I thought and felt about the place. What we could there, and here. And in the end, he agreed. I don't know if he loves the place like I do, but it made me happy in that sappy romantic way that the place we picked was something I "fell in love with."

Anyways, I'm very excited for this place to close and be ours. It doesn't need much renovation, it does need a lot of redecoration. New carpets, some paint, get rid of some paneling...very psyched to do these things, and make it mine. It's something I've wanted for a very long time, and something I wasn't sure I'd ever get.


*fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong*

1 comment:

  1. Congrats, Pix!!! I can't wait to hear all about the renovations/projects that go along with home ownership!

    ReplyDelete