Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Grillin' Salmon with whut??

Today I thought I'd share a recipe. Grilled Salmon on a Cedar Plank. One of my favorite grilled goods. Why I love warm weather. It's a delicious meal.


I actually got my planks in some crazy Woot! deal. Like 12 planks for 10 bux, or something ridiculous. It was a good deal, and the planks are good sized. First things first, Soak your plank in some water. I actually weighed mine down with a can of vegetables. Soak it at least an hour, more if you can.




When the planks are ready, take it out of the water, and dry it off a bit. Rinse the fish off, pat dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle the fish with salt. In a small bowl, mix a little brown sugar, some dill, some pepper, some salmon rub, and a little bit of cayenne pepper.

You can add any other spices you want. I've added basil and lemon zest before. Rub this on the fish, and let sit for 15 minutes, or while your grill is starting.
Drizzle on a little Olive Oil.

I use charcoal, started in my chimney starter, so 15-20 minutes is all it takes to get the fire nice and warm. Keep some water nearby in case of flare up. When ready, just pop the fish and plank on the grill. Cover it, and let it cook until it's done- 15-20 minutes, depending on thickness. I admit, I overcook my fish sometimes because raw fish scares me. (And I eat sushi, so really that probably makes no sense...) I usually make sure the salmon feels firm when I push on it, and not too soft. Take off the flames carefully, plank and all. I usually just toss it on a plate, and then serve the fish right off the plank.



Delicious, and easy, and yes, good for you! The brown sugar melts a bit to create a glaze. Serve up with a veggie, and some rice, and it's a nicely rounded meal! (Yes, I actually used a boxed pasta side this time...not at all pretty, and not the best choice, but the kids loved it.)

Grilled Salmon on Cedar Planks

3 0z of Salmon per person
1 TB brown sugar (I used Splenda Brown Sugar)
1 tsp dill
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salmon rub (I used McCormick)
Salt
Olive Oil

1 Cedar plank, soaked in water for an hour.

Rinse Salmon, dry. Rub with salt, brown sugar, dill, pepper and salmon rub. Drizzle with Olive oil. Grill for 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment