Saturday, April 16, 2011

I'm saying no to chemicals...

I have a little confession.  I know, it's not Friday, so let's change that- I have a little admission.  I hate cleaning the bathroom.  So much, that since we've moved in, I have not given the bathroom a lot of attention, other than the quick wipe downs and washing the toilet.  Pretty gross, I know.

Baking soda is great stuff!
Part of the reason I've avoided it is because I haven't been doing too well with strongly chemical cleaners.  I love CLR, but the smell makes me beyond sick- giving me a headache that can last all day.  And though my sweet husband gladly volunteers to scrub it for me, there's a certain degree of guilt there, since he already does so much.

So today, I made my own scrubbing solution- completely free of chemicals.  And much to my surprise, it worked well.

Herby Soft Scrub
• 1/2 cup baking soda
• 1/2 cup castille soap (I used Dr. Bronner's- but was unable to get a hold of unscented, so I used almond)
• 15 drops of antimicrobial essential oils (I used Clary Sage and Thyme)

Mix well until you have a nice consistency like cake frosting. If you have leftovers, add 1 teaspoon vegetable glycerin to keep the blend nice and moist.



Pretty good stuff too- smells yummy.
I whipped it up in a glass jar, and then used a microfiber cloth to apply it to the tub and counters.  I used more in the more grimy parts of the tub, and then used a scrubbing brush.  Without rinsing, I let it sit for 5-10 minutes, though I think next time I'll let it sit a bit longer.

The smell was great.  Because I used the almond, I think it worked out well.  The essential oils are strong smelling, and I think the almond gave it a more "sweet" smell.  Afterwards, the bathroom smelled delicious, and my hands didn't smell like chemicals.  I think next time I will use cleaning gloves though- my hands feel a little dried out.

I'll definitely be making some more of my own cleaning supplies.  Surface spray, Antibacterial spray, window/mirror cleaner, linen spray, carpet deodorizer, floor cleaner...

Though, I am contemplating a steam cleaner too.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh! I like the sounds of that recipe! I'm going to have to try it.

    I have a metric shit-ton of natural cleaning recipes, some of which seem to work better than others; if you find yourself in need, just drop me a line. :)

    ReplyDelete