Thursday, April 28, 2011

Chicken Birds

All the chicks are still doing well.  They are so cute to watch- they love to chase each other, and jump on each other.  And it's absolutely adorable to watch them just randomly fall asleep.
Falling asleep

The kids love them.  Liam calls them "Chicken birds!" and tells me that they are "cute!".  He loves them so much that he snuck down into the basement this morning, and moved the heat lamp off them.  Yikes!  I didn't know it until the chicks started peeping very loudly an hour or so later.  Chicks don't like to be cold, and they were getting cold.  John promptly installed a hook and eye on the basement door.

Lilia finds them to be cute as well, telling me that they are her favorite pet, and asking if I'm the chickens' mommy, or is she.  I can tell she wants to hold them, but I tell her that they are still too little.  Hopefully next week, she can hold one when Liam isn't around.
Trying to avoid me :(
Tomorrow I want to introduce grit, and maybe some yogurt.  I've read that chicks love yogurt, and it's really good for them.  The grit is important when feeding anything other than chick feed, since it helps with digestion.  I look forward to giving them treats, since I think that's gonna bribe them to not be afraid of me. It's been hard not to just spend all day down in the basement, holding them.  I've limited myself to only a few times a day, and only for a few minutes, enough to pet them a little and check their little behinds for pasty butt.

I'm not as anxious as I thought I'd be.  For the most part, I go down and check on them 4-5 times a day, but that's about it.  In the morning, and before bed, I change the water and feed, and the bedding.  Nothing too big, nothing to make me thing OMG, I've added to my work load.  I thought that the chicks and brooder would smell a little, but so far they don't.  I don't even notice a smell, which is good, although I change the bedding once a day.  Maybe that helps.

So here's a video of the chicks falling asleep.
They don't do anything exciting, just fall asleep.  Before that, they were falling asleep, but the moment one of them would move, they'd all jump up and start peeping, and then try to go back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment